Saturday, February 25, 2012

Recovery: Day 3

Let me start by saying that when preparing for this surgery, we were warned about its difficulties and that Days 3-5 would be the worst.  This is due to the healing process and scabbing and blah, blah, blah.  The doctor told me, friends told me and all of the material I read told me about Day 3. And it came...with head to toe itching and vomiting.  Unable to keep anything down, including pain medicine.  She had an allergic reaction to the Codeine.  After several calls to the doctor and a crying meltdown on my part, we got new pain medicine and something for the nausea. She has very little recollection of Wednesday, which I guess is the way her body dealt with it all.  She is better now.  Eating, drinking and moving around a little more.  We actually took a ride in the car yesterday (Friday) for the first time since Monday. It did us both some good.  She is very much dependant on the pain meds still and the doctor says to not even try and and decrease those until day 10.  Not sure how Vicadin is going to work at school, but we will have to figure that out next week.  She is such a trooper and is taking the medicine so well considering me waking her up ever 4 hours.  It is such a helpless feeling to watch your child in pain and have no way of helping her.  This is just one of those things in life that has to be done. And I am sure it will not be the last.
Thanks for all of the well wishes, cards and feel better prizes!  It has helped alot.

No comments: