Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Moms will get it...

I attended a funeral today. And of course, we all feel lots of emotions when we attend one, but events such as these take on a whole new meaning now. Everyone says "Having a child changes everything". It does change everything- even a funeral. I sat there with such sadness and empathy and wondered how this family would find the joy in this. My mind wandered to emotions such as joy, sadness, compassion and empathy. How do I teach these things to Emerson? Will we prepare her for grief and what will she do with it? When I pass away, will I look down and know I have prepared her to be in this world as a kind, happy citizen? Will I prepare her to live in this world without me? Will I look back one day, when it is much too late, and regret that thing I did not say or do. Will Emerson regret that as well?

The only thing I can make of this is that we should live everyday as if it is our last. Say and do those things today that you want to put off until tomorrow, because tomorrow may be too late.

I will hug her a little longer today and kiss her a little softer. I will look at her face and memorize ever single part of it. I will sing and dance with her an extra song. I will make her laugh a little louder and listen as if it was the first time she giggled.
These are the things I think about today... just the thoughts of a Mom.

No comments: