Friday, June 19, 2009

Swimming Lessons

As most of you know, my child is truly her father's daughter. She never meets a stranger and holds complete conversations with total strangers. So, I thought private swimming lessons would be perfect for her as she is easily distracted and WAY to into everyone else's business. She has been very excited to start and swimming lessons started this week. She walked right into the pool on the first day and never looked back to see where I was. I got into the car and called Denny to say this was not going to be a problem at all. Well it was not a problem until she looked up and realized I was not there. This is so odd to me! She is not a clingy child and goes to Mother's Day out twice a week with no concerns as to where I am. Day 2 we thought it may be good if I stayed. Not so much! She refused to even get in the water. Crying that she wanted me. Day 2 was a bust. We regrouped and decided to get stern. We told her this was just like school and I would drop her off and then pick her up after it was over- end of discussion. She is not scared of the water or her teacher- she is just seeing how far she can get with us. We also started negotiating a bit. If she finishes each lesson with no fussing then we get a snowball on the way home after each lesson. Then, when all the lessons are over and she has not fussed or cried then we will take her to Built-A-Bear. She seems excited about these new developments, but does not want to discuss the fact that I will not be there. Day 3 comes and we are on our way. She starts to whimper and wants me to stay. Needless to say, we compromised with me staying and if she starts to cry or is not being a good listener- then I go and come back when it is over. This has worked and we have had 2 days of good lessons. Hopefully we will finish with no other big issues. She sure loves her snowballs in the afternoons...at 5:30 right before dinner...that gets her wound up and bouncing off the walls...that makes me push dinner an hour or so later until she can come down from the sugar high! It is summer time and she seems to be having a good time now.


No comments: